Borrow an Auxiliary Cable. For use with Playaways and smart devices to connect audio to a car or home speaker.
We have a collection of board games for all ages. Browse the full list of board games in our catalogue.
Dementia friendly leisure reading material is available for those who experience memory loss. These include short stories with mature, age-appropriate plot lines and content.
Written in large print with breaks between paragraphs, accompanying pictures and visual cues.
We also have up-to-date resources for those in the early stages of dementia and their caregivers as well as a collection of books for younger audiences who might be asking questions about a loved one who is experience memory loss.
For more resources and information for those living with memory loss and their loved ones, please visit the Alzheimer Society of Elgin-St. Thomas.
Need to grab books for your child in a hurry? ‘Grab & Go’ with our specially selected backpacks full of literacy items for you children.
Grab & Go Book Bags Includes 7 books in each backpack. Available as themed kits (Starting School, My Family, Opposites, My Body, etc.) or a surprise mix!
Grab & Go Plus Themed backpacks with books, activities and toys to both educate and enjoy! Some themes include: On the Farm, My Community, Dinosaurs, Space, Things that Go, and more!
ESL (English as a Second Language) Resources
Learning a new language can be challenging, we have a variety of resources to help with your grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation of spoken and written English.
- DVDs to learn English
- Language Kits
- English Language kits and exercise books
- Read-along Books and CDs
- ESL Resources
- Mango Languages – Build communication skills in 70+ world languages, including English. Explore new languages by practicing realistic conversations.
Science shows that the most efficient way to learn a word so it can be instantly recognized in the future is by “decoding” it. Decoding means using knowledge of letter sounds and English spelling patterns to “sound out” a word. Decodable books include text that has been carefully written using evidence-based strategies to support reading development. These books are wonderful for all new readers, but access to this type of book is vital for children with dyslexia.
High/low books offer highly engaging age-appropriate subject matter at a low reading level for struggling readers. High/low books can help build reading fluency, vocabulary, background knowledge, and interest in reading. Source for further reading on the subject.
Enjoy Ontario Provincial Parks with this item!
- Includes 1 Ontario Parks Commercial Vehicle Permit and 1 Ontario Parks Guide, in DVD container.
- Item provides day use access to any provincial park subject to park regulations. Permit must be displayed in your vehicle. Valid until posted hours of closing during the operating season. Valid until December 31, 2022.
- The passes cannot be placed on hold, they are available on a first-come basis. Search our catalogue to see which branch currently has an available pass.
- Please return to the library branch the pass was checked out from.
Borrow a pedometer toolkit and track your steps!
Each Pedometer Kit includes:
- Elgin-St. Thomas Cycling & Hiking Trail Map
- 1 pedometer and operating instructions
- Let’s Get Active – One Step at a Time
- Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines Adults ages 18-64 / ages 65+
- Activity Guide – Active Elgin
- Laminated calendar
Many thanks to Southwestern Public Health for their generous donation of these physical literacy kits. For more information on physical activity please visit the Southwestern Public Health website page on physical activity.
We have a variety of Read-along formats all designed for children to follow the pictures of a storybook while a narrator reads the words. Physical read-alongs can be borrowed for 4 weeks.
Books and CDs includes 1 book and 1 audio CD.
Playaway bookpacks includes 1 Playaway audio player and associated book(s). Both picture books and chapter books are available in this collection. This device requires a battery and headphones or an AUX cord and speaker to operate.
Wonderbooks a print book with a ready-to-play audiobook built in. These play out loud or can be used with personal headphones. Each Wonderbook has a ‘Read-along’ and ‘Learning’ mode. These are a hot item! Please not there is a maximum of 3 holds and 3 checkouts at any one time for Wonderbooks.
Read-along Digital Collection
Access hundreds of digital read-along stories on your computer of smart device.
**Seed Library for 2023!**
Starting March 6, 2023 @ Dutton Library & Shedden Library AND Starting March 27, 2023 @ Belmont Library & Springfield Library
How Our Seed Libraries Work:
- Borrow! Stop by one of our seed library branches (Belmont, Dutton, Shedden & Springfield) and request an Order Form with our current collection of seeds. Check out up to 6 seed packets per family with your Elgin County Library card for free.
- Grow! Plant seeds; learn how to grow; have fun and experiment!
- Return! If you’re able to collect and return seeds in the fall we would be so grateful.
More info is available on our dedicated Seed Library webpage.
Elgin County Library offers a collection of nearly 500,000 books, magazines, newspapers and described videos in a choice of accessible formats for people with a print disability through CELA. Find out more about CELA on our Accessibility page and the CELA website which can be found at: CELA Library
Elgin County Library’s CELA Collection
- Elgin County has a collection of Daisy Readers available to borrow.
- Along with a Daisy CD collection available.
Also available are:
- Magnifying Sheets
- Portable Text Reading Devices – Magnifying reading devices are available for check out with a power cord and instructions.
Browse our full Visual Accessibility Collection in our catalogue.
Screen free audio that lets kids lead the way!
Yoto bundles include a Yoto audio player and 6-8 curated Yoto cards that include stories, activities and music.
Check out our full collection here!