If an emergency happens in Elgin County it may take emergency workers some time to reach you. You should be prepared to take care of yourself and your family for a minimum of 72 hours.
It is quick and easy to become prepared to face a range of emergencies any time anywhere. The basic steps outlines below will help you take care of yourself and your loved ones during an emergency.
During an emergency, weather warnings and, updates about an emergency event or other information relating to an emergency may be broadcast via local Radio and TV stations. It is very important to have a portable battery powered radio and a fresh supply of batteries on hand in case the power goes out.
Most likely types of emergencies that can occur in Elgin County:
– Snow/ice storms and windstorms – Transportation accident
– Fire – Hazardous materials incident
– Flooding – Water emergency (quality)
– Fog – Drought/extreme temperatures
It will take you about 20 minutes to make a family emergency plan online. You can then print it out. Before starting, you will need to think about:
- Safe exits from home and neighbourhood
- Meeting places to reunite with family or roommates
- Designated person to pick up children should you be unavailable
- Contact persons close-by and out-of-town
- Health and insurance information
- Places for your pet to stay
- Risks in your region
- Location of your fire extinguisher, water valve, electrical panel, gas valve and floor drain