Recreation and Leisure
The County of Elgin homes recognizes the importance that leisure plays throughout our lives. Recreation professionals within the home work with each resident to develop his or her own personalized leisure goals based on past and current preferences and abilities, through a wide variety of day evening and weekend programming.
The County of Elgin Homes and Seniors Services encourage residents to utilize leisure resources and supplies, either independently or with their family and friends. The folowing supplies area sample of some items which are available for use within the homes:
- Wii gaming system, X box Kinect (Terrace Lodge)
- Large screen Television and DVD player, DVD library
- Puzzles word searches and crosswords
- Musical instruments
- Assorted board games
- Books, magazines, books on CD
- Magazines, current and special order (fashions of the 20's)
- Cards, card holders
- Wool, knitting supplies, sewing machine
- Nail polish
- Montessori Kits, sensory, therapeutic programming kits
- Working Gardens, vegetable, cut flower
To request a resource which is not currently available at the home please click here.
Recreation and adaptive leisure resource suppliers:
Arts & Culture
The County of Elgin homes are proud to offer specialized programs which, through the use of music, drama, horticulture, visual arts , animal assisted therapy and sensory programming, enhance the quality of life of the residents. Therapeutic programs are provided to ensure all residents, regardless of their ability level, maximize their leisure potential through individualized leisure interventions and specialized adaptive leisure resources.
- Historal lectures and partnerships with local museums and archives
- Art Therapy
- Culinary out trips to local schools, restaurants and wineries
- Guest speakers from local artisan businesses and studios
- A variety of musicians specializing in harp, violin, guitar and piano
- Local choirs and entertainment troops
- Theatre out trips
- Quilt groups knitting and crafters circles
- Book clubs and library partnerships
The County of Elgin homes spiritual and religius care program is designed to ensure all residents have access to individual, community and in house spiritual and religious services and programs.
- Formal spiritual and religious services
- Bible study
- Individual pastoral visits
- Religious observations
- Hymn sings
- Community based services
- Ongoing consultation, care planning
- Memorial services and grief support
- Cultural and language specific services and literature
Please contact the recreation team if you have questions related to the homes spiritual and religious programming.
In House Computer Program
Our homes boast a thriving computer and technology program. Each home hosts a minimum of one touch screen computer with access to Pointerware® computer and e-mail software. Thios innovative software allows new and first time users to effectively use e-mail and gaming programs.
Our homes also utilize Skype, laptops, iPads, iPods and other netbook devices to bring innovative recreation programming and individualized training opportunities to the residents.
Personal Computers and Devices -Setting up a Personal Computer or Device
Residents are able to set up a desktop, laptop, iPad orother device for personal use in the home.
Internet use is subject to a monthly fee. Computer hardware must meet specific hardware requirements to be set up in the home so it is important that you contact tthe home prior to purchasing a device for personal use.