Change Contrast

  • White/Black
  • Standard

Current Style: Standard

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What services does the County of Elgin offer?

A. List of County Services (Phone number 519-631-1460) Administrative Services x 156 Archives x 154 Economic Development x 168 Engineering Services x 162 Financial Services x 144 Homes for Seniors Bobier Villa (519) 762-2417 Elgin Manor (519) 631-0620 Terrace Lodge (519) 773-9205 Human Resources x 155 Library Services x 148 Museum x 160 Provincial Offences Administration x 118 Tourism x 168

Q. What are the Administrative Building’s office hours?

A. 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Q. Where do we pay our taxes?

A. At your local municipal office (for listing click here * link to Council description page)

Q. What are the names of the seven (7) municipalities in Elgin County?

A. Municipality of Bayham, Municipality of Central Elgin, Municipality of Dutton/Dunwich, Municipality of West Elgin, Town of Aylmer, Township of Malahide, and Township of Southwold.

Q. What is the population of Elgin County?

A. 49 235 (2006 Census, Statistics Canada)

Q. What is the population of the municipalities in the County of Elgin?

Municipality of Bayham 6 727 Municipality of Central Elgin 12 723 Municipality of Dutton/Dunwich 3 821 Municipality of West Elgin 5349 Town of Aylmer 7069 Township of Malahide 8 828 Township of Southwold 4 724

Q. I am interested in learning more about working for the County of Elgin.

A. Visit the Human Resources page by clicking here: Elgin County Human Resources

Q. Who is responsible for garbage pick up?

A. Each municipality is responsible for their own garbage pick up, contact your respective municipalities for problems with garbage pick up.

Q. Where can I get a Marriage License?

A. Marriage Licenses are issued in the Town of Aylmer, Municipality of West Elgin, and the City of St. Thomas.

Q. Is this where I pay for my taxes?

A. No. This can be done at the lower-tier municipality that you reside in.

Q. How do I book a room in the County Building, and what types of rooms are there?

A. Please contact Anne Bennie of Engineering Services to obtain the Room Booking Form by phoning 519-631-1460 x162 or via email

Q. What highways does the County of Elgin maintain?

A. Each individual municipality maintains the County and municipal roads within their boundaries.

Q. Where can I get a moving/road occupancy permit?

A. Visit the Engineering Services section of the website for more information: Elgin County Engineering Services

Q. When is the maintenance work going to be done on the County road I live on?

A. The local municipality is now performing the maintenance on County Roads. Please call the Municipal Office in your area for further clarification.

Q. I live in St. Thomas, when is maintenance work is going to be done on the road I live on?

A. All inquiries regarding roadways with City of St. Thomas should be forwarded to their Works Department. City of St. Thomas Works Department 519-631-1680